As a writer, new or not, you have a lot of ideas running on your mind. Ideas that you want to put into writing and showcase to the world. There will be times though that you will experience getting stuck on a certain part. You will even experience the fear of starting or sharing your work because you are afraid it is not as good as you think it is. You may also experience not getting the support that you need from your loved ones to be the best writer that you can be. You can’t expect them to always understand your needs or how you think because you are a writer and they likely are not.
Will this be an indication that you need to spend more time alone? Absolutely not. This is just an indication that perhaps it is time for you to join a writing group.
A writing group is comprised of people who are equally as passionate as you are about your craft. People who can provide you the support that you need during challenging times. Like-minded people who understand you and what you are going through.
You may be hesitant in joining a writing group for many different reasons, but the benefits of joining one can outweigh your doubts.
- Finding your support group. At times, you will be faced with many different difficulties as a writer. From experiencing the writer’s block to feeling down because of a lack of understanding from your friends or family, your writing group will be there for you. They know what you are going through because they have likely experienced it.
- Improving your skills. In joining a writing group you will be exposed to many different types of writers. You may even get acquainted with an editor or a highly experienced writer who can give you honest feedback for your work. In sharing your work with the group, you’ll get a fresh set of eyes to review your work. You will receive their honest opinions, builds, and valuable advice which will be beneficial not just for you but for your work as well. This perhaps is one of the most important reasons why one should join a writing group.
- Getting valuable information. Aside from helping you further improve your writing skills, you’ll also get exclusive information on the latest ins and outs, conferences, talks, workshops, and contests that you can join. You’ll receive tips from your fellow writers which can help you further build your name as a writer or help you become a better writer.
- Getting published. Since you are in a group with other writers, chances are they have their own blog or they are affiliated with publishing companies. You’ll get a chance to be a guest blogger or be published for a work you shared in your group. Aside from this, your group will also be your source of encouragement to help get your work finally published.
- Free Promotion. If you do have a published book, article, or a blog your fellow writers from the group can help spread the word about it. This gives your work extra mileage for free.
- Staying motivated to finish your work. Everybody needs a bit of encouragement every now and then. Even the most seasoned writer will face hard times that will discourage them from finishing what they have started. Taking part of w writing group does not just mean finding comfort with like-minded people and building your connections, it also means giving and receiving encouragement. You will have people who will persistently ask you for updates about the novel or article you are writing. Being part of a group also means taking part in mini-exercises that help you stay on track and train your mind to meet deadlines.
Being part of a writing group is highly beneficial not just for new writers but for seasoned writers as well. Look at it as being part of a community that has the end goal of helping you the best writer that you can be.